Choose the Best Budget Game Improvement Iron
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Budget Game Improvement Irons
17 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
We set out to find the best budget game improvement irons of 2020. After reading through countless customer reviews and testing out a few consumer favorites, we finally made our top five selections. Check them and our buying tips out in the sections below.
Cleveland Golf Men’s Launcher HB Iron Set– Best Overall
The clubs’ low crown makes for higher, more accurate launches. As a result, players should have no trouble hitting long-distance targets. Meanwhile, the turbo-charged steel faces offer extra flex and durability upon impact. Moreover, the clubs’ raised soles prevent digging upon impact. You can save money by investing in the 2018 models.
The clubs have thicker top lines and lower profiles. As such, they give slow-swinging players maximum distance on their long-range shots. However, players with high swing speeds shouldn’t expect to see gains when using these game improvement irons.
We love the look of the painted heads. Keep these clubs under covers if you want to prevent the paint from peeling.
- Hollow crown with low, deep center of gravity and minimal vibrations
- High-strength steel face with pleasing black and chrome accents
- Stiff Flex for more advanced shooters
- Budget-friendly graphite shaft
- High, straight launch for players with slow swing speeds
- Wide, raised sole slides over the green with ease
- Progressive shaping gives these clubs excellent launching potential
- Thicker steel inserts than the turbocharged 2020 models
- The graphite shafts are extremely light
- You can expect these painted heads to get roughed up easily
TaylorMade M4 Iron Set– Best for Mid-Handicappers
- Proprietary RIBCOR technology offers localized face flexibility
- Speed pocket offers low-face flexibility for more speed on mis-hits
- Fluted hosel
- 360-degree undercut for better launch, spin, and forgiveness
- Fujikura Atmos and KBS Max 85 shafts
- Optomized heel and toe weighting
- Better suited for players who are looking to graduate to players’ irons
- Strong lofts makes these more difficult to swing
Callaway Golf 2018 Men’s Rogue Irons Set– Best Budget
- 360 Face Cup with variable face technology
- Face flexes to promote ball speed on off-center hits
- Tungsten weighting optimizes the center of gravity
- Urthethane microspheres help produce phenomenal sound and feel
- Regular flex 60-gram Synergy graphite shafts
- Not as great of sound and feel as we would have liked
- Some resistance on off-center hits
TaylorMade Golf M6 Iron– Best Upgrade Option
- Chrome, red, and gray accents
- Regular flex
- Ultra-thin face for consistent speed and distance
- Inverted cone technology
- HYBRAR compression dampers unwanted vibrations
- Speed bridge offers ultra-fast thru-slot speed pocket
- Fluted hosel and 360-degree undercut for more speed and height on low-face hits
- Sole and club face scratch easily
- The sole-indent tends to collect dirt
TaylorMade RocketBladez 2.0 Iron Set– Best Runner-Up
These clubs feature specially formulated polyurethane Speed Pockets. As a result, players get excellent sound and minimal vibrations upon contact. Meanwhile, the steel shafts give players ample rhythm and control. Finally, the irons’ ATV soles cut across the green nicely.
- Regular flex from RocketFuel 85 Steel shafts
- Modern yellow, black, gray, and chrome accents
- Proprietary Speed Pocket technology provided slow hitters with consistent ball height, speed, and distance
- Proprietary 3M polyurethane Speed Pocket insert
- Inverted cone shape for high MOI
- Narrow chrome sole for better green contact
- Doesn’t offer the same feel as a player’s iron
- Players with striking issues may struggle to hit narrow sole
How to Choose the Best Game Improvement Irons on a Budget
It’s nice to have options, but the sheer abundance of game-improving irons makes it hard to settle on a single set. Many golfers struggle to find irons that are well-suited for their playing styles. Here are our tips for the best budget game improvement irons. Keep in mind that your playing style and product specs should play into your final decision.
Choosing a golf set can be confusing. Most iron sets consist of five to seven clubs. For example, a 3-PW set includes three, four, five, six, seven, eight, and nine irons. All of the iron sets in our roundup fall into the 4-PW category. That means that they include irons four through nine as well as a pitching wedge.
Choose a shaft with a flexibility that is suitable for your playing style and capabilities. A well-chosen flex should help you to keep your score low. Generally speaking, stiff (S) flexes offer players with average swing speeds more control and accuracy. Meanwhile, a regular (R) flex provides players with increased momentum. If you have a slow swing speed, you may want to choose a club set with a senior (A) or ladies’ (L) flex.
The head and shaft materials also contribute to an iron’s overall forgiveness. Graphite shafts tend to be lightweight, flexible, and fast. However, they are not usually as accurate as their heavier steel counterparts.
Many players look for irons that offer exceptional feel upon impact. Dampened vibrations and a signature hit sound are two of the most desirable factors. Forged heads tend to produce fewer vibrations than the cast alternatives. However, the club’s soft insert may also help improve a club’s feel upon impact.
Game improvement irons tend to have thin faces and weighted soles. Many clubs boast head technologies that increase their sweet spots. In turn, these irons should offer mid-handicap players some impressive speed, accuracy, and distance improvements.
Quality irons don’t come cheap. Last season and used sets are usually the best budget options. Still, there are plenty of well-performing mid-range options.
Are Game Improvement Irons Right for Me?
Game improvement irons are ideal for inexperienced or unskilled golfers. They are generally used by mid- to high-handicappers. These clubs tend to be more forgiving. They launch balls high, giving them lots of speed and distance.
We hope you enjoyed our rundown of the best budget game improvement irons. If you’re in a rush, be sure to check out the Cleveland Golf Men’s Launcher HB Iron Set. These hybrid clubs provide players with ample forgiveness. Do you have a favorite game improvement iron? Let us know in the comment section below.
Useful Video: Best Beginner Irons under $100
Budget Game Improvement Iron Bestsellers
We have tested the most popular budget game improvement irons (the table is updated daily). We show the result in the bestseller list. Here you will find the best available products for you sorted by the customer reviews.